What’s New for WMSC programs in 2013?
• Coaching fees reduced by 10% across all programs
• Extra Day coaching fees reduced to $40 (down from $45).
• U16, U14, U12 replace K2, K1 and E2 programs
• All youth programs include year round dryland coaching and Sprongo video
• Simplified online registration process
The Whistler Mountain Ski Club runs alpine ski racing programs the following levels:
Since the club’s inception in 1968, we have been commited to the development and delivery of exceptional ski racing programs that have supported thousands of aspiring ski racers in their pursuit of athletic excellence. Our mission statement is “developing champions in life and sport” and we never forget the importance of each individual’s personal experience with our club and the sport of alpine ski racing. To that end there are some significant aspects of this season’s program that new and returning members should be aware of. Complete program details can be found on our website and in our parent handbook which should be available by mid October.
Currently, the Whistler Mountain Ski Club offers programs for U12 (10-11 year olds), U14 (12-13 year olds), U16 (14-15 year olds), FIS (16+ year olds), Ski Cross (15+ year olds) and Masters (adult). For each age category, there are one or two program options. Based on feedback from previous years, we have put together these program options with the following considerations in mind:
We recognize that our athletes and parents come to us with a range of aspirations and expectations. While for some ski racing is incidental to other activities, others dream of representing their country. Thus in developing our program options we have endeavored to offer a range of options that can meet the needs of every athlete, regardless of their level of commitment to the sport of ski racing.
We have endeavored to put together program options that hold no surprises for those funding their athlete’s ski racing. To that end we have included travel and accommodation costs and coaching fees in the extended program fees where applicable.
Knowing ahead of time how many athletes will attend various races and camps significantly helps our planning process and as such the cost for the all inclusive options is less than the “pay as you go” options.
The options represent different payment options. Athletes in the programs will train and race together and be sorted into groups based on their ability and needs and not the payment option that was selected.
Please don't hesitate to contact my office or our head coaches directly with any questions you might have.
Again welcome to WMSC,
The 2013 Program
Member athletes of the Whistler Mountain Ski Club enjoy year round benefits including individualized dryland programs and assessments, tuning room, educational clinics and workshops, access to our world class fitness facility and exposure to national and internationally successful athletes, many of whom started their career with our club. The ski season starts on the official opening day of Whistler Blackcomb and lasts until April 8th. Training occurs almost every weekend throughout the season at Whistler Blackcomb when the team is not otherwise scheduled away. In addition, regular training is available (and included in all options) during the Christmas break. Mid week training on Thursday and Fridays (others as scheduled) is also available and included in the Extended options.
HOW TO LOGIN [Step 1]
1) Go to www.wmsc.info
2) At the top of the page you will see Register | Login If you have already created an account, you can simply login by entering your e-mail and password.
3) If you have not created an account or are unsure click “register”
The following page will appear – ENTER YOUR MAIN FAMILY EMAIL HERE AND FAMILY LAST NAME (no child’s email address here please)
4) Enter your information and click “Create Account.” A verification e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address so please be sure the e-mail is correct. The e-mail will come from firstname.lastname@example.org and may go to your spam or junk folder. Follow the link in the e-mail to a webpage that will allow you to reset your password to whatever you choose. (NOTE: If, when you click “Create Account” it tells you that the e-mail address is already in the system, click forgot password and your password will be e-mailed to you.)
5) You will then be able to use your e-mail and password to login at any time.
6) Once logged in, you will notice new features such as “Buy & Sell – Your Ads” where you can create your own ads. The most important new feature will be the new category in the menu bar along the top of the page called “Member’s Area” where you can register your family.
Registration [Step 2]
1) Before you can register you must agree to the Club Member Agreement
2) Once you agree to the terms of the agreement, Click on “Go To Registration Page”
3) Where it says “Family Member” enter your information (this should be the principal family member responsible for payment to the club – please use the same surname as the athlete). Any item with an asterisk (*) beside it means that it is required information. WP/S Name is short for Workplace/School Name.
4) Below “Family Member” you will see “add family members” Click this button and add the next person in your family (husband, wife, child…). Continue until each member of your family has been registered. The same e-mail address cannot be used for more than one member, even if in the same family. Note* All emails entered will get all member emails! It’s important to enter in racer e-mail addresses because the e-mail will act as a separate login and allow the racer access to different information than general members. Ex. A U12 login will give the racer specific information. (If you have already registered people in the past, you will be presented with a list of their names. Click the name of the person you want to renew.)
5) Then fill out Contact Details and Additional Data.
6) Finally Click “Submit this Registration Information”
7) Under Programs/Teams (see steps 3 and 4)- Register all athletes in program/team (U12, U14, U16, FIS, SKI X)
8) After you have submitted the form you should receive a message telling you that your registration has been updated and a breakdown of your registration fees will be presented.
Team Fees [Step 3]
Club Membership and Team fees Due September 30th. Any person(s) 10 years of age or older who wishes to participate in a competitive program with WMSC is subject to a team fee of $600 which must be paid at time of registration. This fee covers your competitor association with the club, your competitors’ licence with BC Alpine and Alpine Canada. It does not however provide for coaching services, lift access, equipment, clothing, camp or race related expenses.
Note: A portion of this fee is applicable for a provincial child tax credit.
Program Fees [Step 4]
Program Fees MUST be paid in full by October 31st. (see also Developing Champions Fund).
WMSC offers ten (10) different types of competitive programs which are age specific.
Core programs includes seasonal coaching support on weekends and during Christmas break. Extra training days (at $40 per), camps and races can be accessed with advance notice. This is a great category if you are only willing or able to commit a limited time to the sport, if you are new to the sport and want to “try it out”, or rarely would consider racing outside of Whistler.
All programs run on weekends starting November 24, 2012 and end April 7, 2013 as well as Christmas Camp (Dec. 27-31 and Jan. 2-4). They include coaching and support services, fall/winter dryland training and online video services annual subscription (Sprongo). No races are included as part of the core program with the exception of FIS core (see program pages for details).
Extended programs include seasonal coaching support when training at Whistler or at away camps and entry into most races on the BC competition calendar. In most cases ground transportation, away lift tickets, lodging and meal packages are included in the program. Extra races not covered in the program can be accessed with three week advance notice. This program would be typical of training and competitions required for long term advancement in the sport.
Extended program fees cover coaching services for all extra midweek training and /or race days as well as trip costs associated with camps and races that are typical of that age groups calendar. See program pages for specific details.
|Age Category||Program Fee|
|U12 (ages: 10-11)||$1650|
|U14 Core (ages: 12-13)||$1650|
|U14 Extended (ages: 12-13)||$4200|
|U16 Core (ages: 14-15)||$2100|
|U16 Extended (ages: 14-15)||$7700|
|FIS Core (ages: 16+)||$6000|
|FIS Extended (ages: 16+)||$12,400|
|SkiX Core (ages: 16+)||$2100|
|SkiX Extended (ages: 16+)||$6000|
|Masters (ages: 19+)||$800|
National Sport Trust Fund (NSTF)
WMSC very much encourages members to solicit donations in support of our “Developing Champions Fund”. The Fund created by the Whistler Mountain Ski Club several years ago aims to cover these program fees for all our racers through the solicitation of donations which are tax deductible. To learn more about the Developing Champions Fund, please register for a member account and view the details of this amazing program through the member’s portion of our web site.
See NSTF program page for full details.
Program fees do not include the cost of a list pass.
FIS and SX aged athletes may be eligible to purchase a CWSAA All Area Pass. Application for this pass program is distributed to registered FIS and SX athletes in late September or early October. Applying for this pass does not necessarily mean that an individual will qualify as there are a limited number of these types of passes available each year.
All youth aged racers are eligible for a “Sea to Sky” Pass from Whistler Blackcomb. Application for this pass is directly through Whistler Blackcomb’s pass sales office and to be eligible, athletes must be registered in a WMSC competitive program at time of purchase. Please note that WMSC must confirm applicants status with WB and does so once a week starting Sept. 10 with an update of our athlete list to their pass sales department. http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/tickets-and-passes/season-passes/sea-to-sky.aspx
Preseason camps are scheduled as part of some programs and included in some options, but available on a user pay basis for other options. The K1 program has a 3 day camp planned for Whistler in late November. This is an excellent way to get some valuable high volume mileage skiing and in drill courses before the season gets underway at home. It also give the racers a great opportunity to bond as a group and with their coaches; defining what their specific goals for the season ahead will be.
The K2, FIS and Ski X programs plan to train in Vail, Colorado for ten days in early November. Having similar objectives as the younger K1s, this camp is obviously much longer and more intensive. The racers will fly with coach chaperones on a group package but some coaches will drive with the skis and necessary tools like gates, radios and drills.
The Race Schedule
The Race schedule, is set by BC Alpine and Alpine Canada changes year to year, but in general follows the similar pattern. Please visit the program pages or our calendar for this season's schedule.